Sunday, October 20, 2013

Things


So it's 11:18, the night before my event and I'm up. I'm up because I'm stressed, happy, excited and hopeful. I've prepped, I'm on edge. I've been in bed since 9:29 and I haven't been able to turn "it" off. Whit isn't having any problems. Tomorrow night at this time, I hope all the weight will be lifted. I hope that I'm happy with the numbers and pleased with a job well done. I hope we are able to lower the prematurity rate- with our event alone. It's a start right? More babies given a fighting chance.

So as I sit here and think about the event I began to look at the pottery barn kids magazine. The holiday one. You know, the one that makes every single kid look like the most surprised kid you've ever seen that just got a glimpse of Santa. It startles this joy in me about the season we are heading into. 

It makes me start doing that list thing I do. It makes me want a lot of-things. Not really for myself, but for my kids. Funny thing is, you and I both know- they don't know what "to want" means. They learn to want. I keep thinking about how cute the boys room would be all done up for Christmas and how multiples are even more fun when working up a theme. It's this whacked out moment that I feel coming on and I dog ear like 61 pages in the holiday catalog like I've GOT to go back and do this or BUY this. But I don't. That's it- it's just things. 

It happens to me in October and it doesn't stop until about December 23rd- when I'm sick of my own thoughts. I will again this year- do the three gifts for the kids. I think it's a way to not only teach them but to keep myself in the spirit of Christmas and not things. 

After all, they learn what we teach. For now I just have to stay out of zulilly and off the computer. I'm smocked dressed, hunter boot, northfaced jacket-ed out. (I talk a huge game).

I want to make a good effort of less holiday shopping and focus on joy rather than things. I think putting this out there holds me more accountable :/

Sleep tight everyone and pray for my event to be mission focused!

1 John 2:16 

For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment