Sunday, June 30, 2013

Kinder- gentler

I read an article in the July issue of Parents about raising your children to be kind. It struck a huge chord with me. I think mostly because I am an adult and by nature, we Iive among some not so kind and gentle souls. It's funny to me now that we have little lives to shape; how important kindness is in our teachings. Not funny haha but funny that teaching is beyond what is right and wrong.




More specifically that when they watch our reactions to others it shapes their reactions to others. I know this is basic but the other day I was on a work call and gg was demanding my attention- instead of saying to my co worker hold on- I glared at Gianna and continued my call. Today Gianna glared at me with the same look that I had given her. I taught her that. So back to my intentional parenting I go. I want them to love one another. I want them to respect one another but I want them to be kind doing it. 


The boys have been working on greetings. Greeting everyone who walks in the door with a hand shake, a "nice to meet you" and a goodbye when they leave. I love it. We've also been working on thank you, please, and giving one another personal items. This might be a sippy cup, Riggs pacifier or a truck that Becker plays with a lot. I love when they light up with delight when they receive a happy recipient. Kindness. Gentleness. 



I think in a world of hard lessons, struggles and heartache- kindness goes a long way. But in this article it talked about the successes of children who had been taught kindness- how they were so successful, educated and overall in great life positions. I think we all strive to give our kids the very best- lets start with giving them kind hearts.





Have a good week everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment