Thursday, February 21, 2013

Making Waffles

Weekends seem to plan "up" quickly in the fall but in the winter/spring I start to feel less full and a better ability to say no, easier. I think I get to the point where I start to feel so over scheduled that I can't enjoy what we are doing in the moment. So when I push back a little- the planned moments are all that much sweeter.

Most weekends lately have been open. Spending Friday and Saturday nights at home and with sick season in our rear view mirror(fingers crossed), the plans have included, not having any plans. So when Alissa mentioned having our friend's family of five over on a Sunday morning for an impromptu breakfast- I was in. Sounds small and not really like a plan at all- but it was this delicious, Sunday morning that was {full}of kids, joy, giggles and sticky•sweet memories, that have stamped my heart with good thoughts every-time I even glance at that waffle maker. In my world I deem things calendar worthy- and this was worthy to the fullest.

Alissa always reminds me of a line in a movie where the animated donkey excitedly says, " in the mornin', I'm makin' waffles!" I love that line because I love the memories it brings of togetherness. Not just on that morning- but when we do things spur of the moment and drink from the richness that the moment holds. Alissa reminds me that even when I'm tired from working all week- to make fun plans, even if it's a wagon ride because the memories will be forever in my {camera} and on my heart. Moments that cannot be recreated. Ever.

I admit that as a mom there are weekends I choose not to load all three up with bags and food and sippy cups. There are Friday nights where I am like, "oh hell no, the zoo again? Not tomorrow." And then I am reminded of the joy that those moments bring when the loading and unloading become unimportant in the details. It's not "all in the details", it's all in what you take from the memories. The pictures, the smiles, the gratefulness is where those sweet thoughts sleep.

No big plans again this weekend- but I have a feeling, memories will be made.

















No comments:

Post a Comment