Friday, September 7, 2012

Our house smells like breakfast

Whit and I have never been breakfast people. We rarely eat anything before nine and we rarely eat breakfast together like you see on tv. You know the milk and juice on the counter while everyone leisurely eats their cereal and toast? That's not us.

But like I have often said- this whole mom and dad world often changes the rules mid-stream. We are making this story up as we go. Lately our house has smelled like breakfast. Riggs demands sweet things like pastries, sweet cereals, oatmeal, pancakes, apple cinnamon waffles etc. GG doesn't care just as long as she gets a lot and Becker, he is go with the flow and loVEs fruit. So breakfast is officially a thing at our house.

Last week we took the babies to Chuy's, like we do once a week. We've always gone with the plan of the more we take them out to eat the more they will know how to behave in restaurants. Sometimes it's a breeze and sometimes it's a struggle. Each time we learn more about where we can go and what to bring to make the experience better. Most of the time one baby is a shining star and the other two take turns acting out :) So, back to last week. We took them to Chuy's and literally the wheels fell off the bus. Everyone was crying, standing up, throwing their food and acting totally crazy. People were giving me dirty looks and our waiter was taking his complete time because I think he was new and our table was like the waiter curse of kids and food everywhere. By the time our food came I was the most hated person in the restaurant. My face was hot, my patience tested and I was completely overwhelmed. Whit was at work so my two friends helped me gather them up, we paid quickly and left without eating. Not fun.

I jokingly told them they were on restaurant probation. We spent the weekend at home cheering on the Bears and cooking out. I've often said that time flies and I wish it would slow and while I believe that- I'm also loving the stages we are moving from and to. They have been talking a lot more and saying words and expressions that make us laugh. Becker purposely drops things so he can say uh-oh! Riggs has started making kiss lips and GG, she raises her eyebrows, like I do when she is doing something questionable. What?! How do they learn so quickly?

Now for the hand surgery. It's happening next Wednesday. Both of my hands will be out of commission. The pain is great and the fact that they are getting worse makes this the perfect time. Your prayers and thoughts are appreciated.

We were given a Fall shopping spree by a generous friend, so we are set. I don't think people realize the power of their gifts and friendships. We value the visits, the help with putting on pajamas and the warm clothes given to us. Our house is in transition. Warmer clothes, chocolate chip pumpkin bread, fires, holidays- we're ready. Feels like just a few months ago they were all bundled up and in their strollers. I still feel like a first time mom, making it up as I go- but you can bet- it officially smells like breakfast in our house.


I hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment