Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Nurses Week

I delivered food to our sweet nurses in the nicu yesterday in honor of nurses week. I buzzed the front desk and asked for Lindsey, one of our favorites. I was buzzed in and the smell immediately took me back to our life 10 months ago. Seems like 5 years ago- but weeks ago in some ways

I saw a tired momma washing her hands at the washing station and slipping into her sterile gown. A wave of uncertainty washed over me as I wondered how old and how stable her baby was. I remember how I was at home baking brownies one moment thinking everyone was stable and when I arrived whit was supposed to be at work- he was bedside with one of ours that had taken a turn for the worse. Uncertainty was a daily struggle.

I saw a bunch of familiar faces and we all picked up where we left off. I miss those great souls. There were lots of babies and I tried not to wonder about where they were in their journey. I noticed the beds that my babies occupied and remembered the grueling schedule we once had just ten short months ago. I remember not wanting to leave but at the same time wanting them all in their beds and under one roof. I remember longing for a normal life and a normal new baby smell home.

My heart was heavy when I left. Joyous to have met so many wonderful people who loved mine as their own and sad that there are rarely empty beds there. God had big plans for us while we occupied those three beds. He taught us patience like we had never known, humility and grace. He taught me to trust when I wasn't sure. He showed me his strength over and over even when I didn't believe.

The tacos I took seemed small in comparison to what they gave us. As we turn the page of one whole year.... I am faced with a gratefulness like none other.

Happy nurses week!

No comments:

Post a Comment