Saturday, February 11, 2012

What if • day 8

I think everyone has had that moment of "to make up or to not" in our lives. You know, the moment when you can forgive, forget and move on. A lot is wagered on what they did to us or what we did to them but more importantly, can we love one another again. Sadly, sometimes the answer is no. But when a friendship is magnetic and unmatchable, the forgiving and more importantly, the forgetting is as easy as the friendship.

Whit had worked for JH for about 6,7 years when the owners daughter moved to town. I liked her. We sort of had this instant same-kind-of-funny. She began dating one of whit's co-workers. He wasn't a great guy. A jerk, to be honest. I wanted to tell her. I wanted to shout it! But I couldn't. We became friends and did things as a couple even though we knew his past and wanted to protect her. There were moments when they would break up and we would take her side but she would go back and it would make me want her to see she was so much better. He wasn't worthy of her.

Eventually we couldn't stand aside and watch the car wreck. Whit left his job and took another. I was sad and so was he. We had even planned to attend their wedding in Mexico. The wedding happened and we did not go.

I really missed her. Whit missed the job and couldn't find a real fit anywhere else. Fast forward about 2 years and they divorced. He left JH and whit went back. It was like a wave of panic, fear and relief washed over me at once. She asked me to lunch one day. She cried, I cried and she told me how wrong it had all gone. I apologized and told her how I wanted to drag her from him kicking and screaming but I knew it had to run its coarse.

This was about three years ago. Whit loves his job and has received two promotions since returning. My friendship with her is beautiful and funny. Love that girl. Life could have drastically been different.

What if we didn't have forgiving hearts?

No comments:

Post a Comment