Friday, February 10, 2012

What if • day 7

Our careers shape our lives. I've always felt like if you are not happy at work- you should find something that makes you happy. Easier said than done and in this economy not the smartest advice.

However, I think that when people love what they do it really shows. Not necessarily who they do it with- but what they do. Sometimes I think you get one or the other and both is not likely.

I worked for a dental office, building their hygiene department before I took my job that I have now. I loved those people. I loved the dentist. I loved the patients. It was a fun, light-hearted job. It was a happy place. I had unique relationships with everyone. We often brought our lunches and I can remember those times as being the best. No stress.
After a few years I came to work for an animal rescue in marketing. This was my major and after all those years- I was finally going to put all those classes to work. We save close to 1,000 animals from euthanasia each year. I'm passionate about my work. I have been with the rescue now for eight years. I love the work. Yes, very high energy and very stressful. But, I love looking at all the miracles I have made happen. I love the fact that the money I bring in the doors directly relates the number of lives saved. I love working for a non-profit and making a difference in the community in which I live. Rewarding is such a small word compared to how it feels in my heart.

What if there were no non-profits making good things happen in their community? What if I wasn't a part of one of the largest no-kill animal rescues?

No comments:

Post a Comment