Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What if • day 4

Whit and I started officially dating the fall before I turned 21. I had grown fond of his nerdiness and found him to be the most loving guy I had ever met. He was sincere, spontaneous, simple & good. These were not characteristics I was used to. I had just come out of a 5 year on and off again unhealthy relationship with D. Another bad boy fixer upper type that was going nowhere despite my efforts. He was a drug addict that needed way more than I could ever give him. My dads words were in my head but I was constantly going back and forth between whit & D. You might be asking yourself what in the world? What was the choice here? Your totally right, there really was no choice. I just longed to fix him. So when Whit said, choose.. It's him or me. I went with my gut and went with Whit. Sounds simple, but I was really in what I thought at the time was love. But from that moment forward I knew it was right. I knew my dad had been right all along and in order to move forward this was my path.

Whit and I dated for a long time before we talked about marriage. I've always been amused at how funny God can be. I really do think he has a sense of humor. It always seemed like musical chairs to me. Like how you date thru high school and college and then whoever is standing is who your with. Like you dated 10 and ended up with one. Feels like fate or happenstance, when it's him, moving those chairs, taking one away and placing you where you need to be.

What if my chair was gone in whits game? What it I had stayed with D?

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you picked the right chair!!!! He is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SOOOO glad you picked the nerd...turns out he wasn't so nerdy and pretty much perfect for you and what your life was meant to be!!!

    ReplyDelete