Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What if • day 5

I've often thought about all the jobs I've had and how much they have shaped who I am. In high school I worked in a photo shop. I loved photography and loved refurbishing customers old photos. The guy I worked for was charming, funny but a complete womanizer. He often made awkward and suggestive comments and I was just 16. I took a new job working for a couple who owned men's clothing store. They also had a new baby. I would often work at the clothing store after school and then babysit at night and on weekends. I loved them. They treated me like family and taught me a ton. They later opened a small deli that served soups, salads and sandwiches. This is where I had my first taste and love of catering and cooking.

Later, I worked for a local floral shop. The owner had a dry sense of humor, an incredibly amazing talent and very little people skills. But, she was simple and basic is the best ways. She didn't act snobby or big-headed about owning her own business. In fact, there were lots of people who owed her money. Lots of people who had lots of money. It was funny to see who didn't pay their bills. Most of the time it was folks with a lot of money. Being 17, this was pretty shocking to me. I learned a lot in that shop. I learned a lot about weddings, bridezillas and mostly the folks who didn't pay their bills.

I learned a ton with each job and later used those skills to open my own deli and catering business. I loved mixing my talent for cooking with my people skills. I loved planning menus as well as the day to day at the deli. I also learned the hardships of owning your own business. I lost a lot of my identity along the way. Meaning I was quick to please others and leave my business thoughts on the back burner. A lot of that came from being 23 and owning my own business. Everyone had their idea of what beck's deli should entail.

I finally left becks behind after about five years. I love what I learned and most of all the customers I still do business with. I can't help but to smile when I think of how all of these people and opportunities shaped my life.

What if I had never worked for those people? What if I had not been given those opportunities? What if my life was shaped differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment