Saturday, December 28, 2013

October to December



I think as moms we cram like 100 days into the final months of the year. You know, summer is leisure and easy and then all of a sudden Halloween hits and we are running around like maniacs on a hunt for some last dying wish and a schedule so packed-no one could conquer it. Party invites, holiday outfits to order for kids, gifts to buy, turkeys to stuff, school programs, school pictures, presents to buy, teacher gifts to make perfect, cookies to bake, parties to plan..... Can I take a breath? Please?!

So, my work event was on October 21st and then came several other work deadlines shortly after. Sick kids from week to week, a tube surgery for Riggs and about 59 work coffee or lunch dates to push 2014 into a perfect jumping spot, meals to juggle, transporting triplets all over the world and just generally surviving. And guilt, another nag I carry because I'm a working momma- yep it was in full red alert too. I hate it. Yep, I was in that year end mad dash. 

I survived thanksgiving and felt like ok, this won't be bad we are almost there... We purchased all of the gifts and we weren't entirely broke so I thought- yep we are doing this well- and then- on Christmas Eve- it happened. I had 102 and felt like I could die. Yep. Perfect timing. Isn't that the way it goes? I called the doctor and they called in some meds but by the time it reached the pharmacy they closed. Awesome. This was going to suck. But by gosh, my kids would never know. 



So on Christmas morning there I was. Medicated to the max and dying. I kept it together because this was the first year these littles knew the meaning of Christmas. They would talk about Jesus and they would want to roll play the entire Christmas story. This momma had to feel better, fast. The wisemen were in high demand. 



On Christmas night I made dinner for our entire family with the help of whit and alissa. I wanted to collapse but had promised Mema several weeks before that I would take it on this year. The second the kids were in bed I literally melted into mine. My throat hurt, my eyes hurt and my head was boiling. I kept thinking about all the prior months/days and how I push myself too hard. We all do. 



The day after Christmas I was at the doctors office at 11 am. He looked at me and said, " I know what you have." I knew he thought the flu and I knew he was wrong. As we talked he looked at my throat and it was evident that it was tonsillitis and a severe sinus infection. I was using a box of Kleenex every hour. I never ran out of snot. 


I walked out with two shots and three meds and was told to return for two more shots over the next two days. I went through the motions of kids, meals and bed and don't really remember a whole lot. Today was my final shot and l still feel about 30%. This has been a doozie.


But even with all that. I got to do some of my favorite things this week/season and here they are:


Candlelight service with my babies
Holding one singing silent night
Christmas Eve at Mema pats which included our traditional menu complete with chicken salad and pimento cheese finger sandwiches 
Telling our three about baby Jesus every single night in December with their nativity scene
The zoo on a day with sunshine and 60's
Bathe my babies
Take a nap
Eat soup
Mailed 146 Christmas cards
Give gifts
Eat donuts
Make dinner for a group
Eat donuts at the park 
Have girls nights
Girls movie days
Take naps
Eat pie
Visitors from out of town 
Let my kids stay up late
Eat ice cream
Eat bruschetta on a casual night 
Watch movies on my couch 
Color with gg
Playdoh with gg
Tickle Riggs
Chase Becker
Talk to whit about Christmas and the kids reaction
Talk about "next year"
Make plans for seaside
Eat Mexican food with my dad at a local place
Watch Mema pat with my three
It was good y'all. Even sick, it was good.
 

I hope yours was your kinda perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment