Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What if • day 20

I've always admired people who run off to a foreign country to do selfless acts. You know the type, they leave their friends, family and job to do the work of God. How do they do it? How do they leave with no income or no one to feed their dog? How do they tell their boss they will be gone for three months teaching preschoolers about the Bible? Digging plumbing in a remote part of Ethiopia?

I admire their hope. I admire their constant source of belief that God will provide. I've always kept God and my finances separate but I'm learning that is not his will. I've always known this but for some reason it's like I think he hasn't noticed.

I pray to him for guidance and for hope and for healing. I pray for reassurance in my plans that he has for me. I even pray to him for signs and for words. I pray to him when things are not going my way and prayers of gratefulness when they do. I never pray to him about finances. I never ask that he guide me as to what I should give to Him or how we should financially run our household.

I read scripture on this early this morning before work. I read: Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the first-fruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine. Proverbs 3:9-10 I know these words and I know he will provide. I need to do a better job of putting him in charge of all of me. Not just my actions but my prayers and guidance of my actions.

What if we prayed to him for everything not just our troubles? What if he was our banker?

No comments:

Post a Comment