Monday, February 13, 2012

What if • day 10

I've always loved family traditions. Whether it's Christmas, birthdays, Halloween or even Valentine's Day- i love them. Whits birthday is on Valentine's. I love it every year. I love a heart shaped cake, pink and red decorations...All the CHOCOLATE that is around, friends, family and most of all I love all of the love that surrounds his birth.

Everyone has their own traditions. Some are passed down and some are ones we create in our own homes. They are added to, carried on and some might be another's that we envy, that we pick up and carry on as our own.

I remember in December I was listening to k-love and they talked about how Jesus only received three gifts for his birthday- and how they knew a family that had made a huge impression on their kids by explaining these gifts and creating the same tradition in their home. We quickly adapted this as our own and plan to continue this with the kids forever.

Family traditions are important. Its a way of continuing and showing our heritage. It's a way of embracing holidays with a plan. From the time I was in the 1st grade I remember getting my valentine first thing in the morning from mema pat. It was always at the breakfast table. I remember when someone was sick, we made them food. I remember on Saturday nights mema pat and papa joe would always go out to eat with the Guthrie's. I remember spinach casserole being my favorite at Thanksgiving and how I always made the mashed potatoes and relish tray( had to have those baby corns). These were all traditions and always the way it would be.

What if we did new things every year? What if there were no traditions?? Nothing to look forward to? No casserole that you searched for at the thanksgiving table?

No comments:

Post a Comment