Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Wrap-up and A New Tradition in the Shepherd House


Last night we went trick-or-treating in the neighborhood. Ha, not really....they aren't really at that stage. But, we did make the block and visited friends and family along the way. We picked up some gold fish snacks, some marshmallow peeps and even some dum-dums (which we quickly learned was a choking hazard for the girl!)

Earlier in the day we went to visit the Klaras Children's Center Halloween party, followed by a quick Chik-fil-a run and a trip to daddy's office. It was a full day because work also happened. This reminds me of that juggling that I always talk about. I feel guilty being a working mom but when days are successful and full- I am reminded that this can happen.



As we close the door on Halloween and turn off the lights on the trick-or-treaters, we shift into the holiday season. I want to start traditions that mean something. I plan on doing the three gifts for each child just like we did last year. I want them to know the meaning of Christmas and the reason we carry on traditions in our home. I want them to know Jesus.

In light of starting traditions and teaching them the Christmas story, Alissa asked me to join her in making an Advent Calendar that we can use for many years to come. When we unpack it each year, I want them to know what it is and when they move away and have their own families to shape, I want them to be come home and see this calendar and remember the traditions and the love for Jesus that we instilled in them.

So, I am taking the month of November, week-by-week, to show you the calendar in stages as Alissa and I walk through them. A "sew-along"...if you will :)  At the beginning of each week, I will post instructions for the week with details. I know this week is almost over but this weeks "steps" are quick and easy and you can do it this weekend! The project costs less than $20 and will last forever! I have seen some online that cost upwards of $100.

Because we haven't completed the project, we don't have pictures, but just so you can get an idea, we have adapted ours from the two pictures below.

We are using these colors of felt and this pocket format.....

And we did this overall design. (our tree will look a little different and our ornaments are more faith based rather than season based.)

Below are templates and instructions. Save the images to your computer and make sure they print from edge to edge on a regular sized printer paper (the ornaments should be about 2 inches. Don't be overwhelmed-- it's actually a lot easier than it looks (take this from someone who has never sewn anything!!! This is all hand-stitched and super easy for someone who is not very crafty!) Also, keep in mind that the templates are hand drawn and feel free to change or modify them. 









post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment